Friday, November 26, 2010

The Digital Divide: Current Civil Rights Issue?

The Digital Divide concerns the growing gap between those who can use and comprehend technology (essentially, using a computer) and those who are not able to do so. This issue does not simply concern being able to  use the basic functions of a computer, but having the skills to navigate technology as a resource. Those who have not had opportunities for education surrounding technology are placed at a disadvantage in a society that values computers as a source of knowledge and communication. Currently, many employers use the internet to look for new employees and the majority of job applications are done online. This puts those who have never been provided education on how to navigate the internet at an advantage of missing job opportunities. Along with employment struggles, the use of a computer and the internet also provide a great source of information and social networking. In higher education, having a computer is vital as grades, assignments, and information concerning classes are typically posted online. Using a computer has the potential to be utilized in a productive manner and is increasingly required as a skill in employment and education. Due to the increased value placed on technology skills along with the vast amount of information on the internet, I do consider this a civil rights issue. To have such a gap regarding an important skill undoubtedly puts many at a disadvantage.

To address the issue of the digital divide, early education needs to provide comprehensive, age appropriate experience with computers. If this began at an early age and continued throughout elementary school, middle school, and high school these skills could be expanded on and applied to appropriate situations. Simply providing schools with computers does not fully address the complexity of the situation at hand. As discussed in class, this may allow students to develop web navigating skills but the majority of the time this results in these skills not being used in an educational manner. Students need the education to utilize computer resources in a scholarly and professional manner. If this were to be provided the growing "skill set" which includes technology experience and comprehension would not pose such a threat in regard to employment opportunities. The funding for this program and technology would be difficult for many schools and there is a need for an initiative to take action and raise funds. For adults, courses should be offered in community spaces that are flexible to work schedules. I realize that the manner in which I initially address this issue doesn't take into account those who are no longer enrolled in school. Community based courses may also encourage individuals struggling with technology to connect with others and share experiences. I imagine these courses to be focused on navigating the web for information, social networking, and increasing employment opportunities.

In my experience with technology I have been incredibly privileged. I remember having a home computer when I was in elementary school. I had some experience with computers in my early education but then the subject was dropped until high school where I was required to take a basic computer course. My middle school and high school did provide computers in the library for students to complete projects on and search for information online. While I wasn't provided the most comprehensive education surrounding computer programs, I learned by completing projects and on my home computer. I was provided an opportunity that many are not. In my college career my knowledge of computers has put me at an advantage and I cannot imagine not knowing how to do so. From the application process to course assignments, a great deal of my college experience has been on the internet. Also, my current job involves being able to perform basic functions on the computer. To not have received education or experience with this technology would have set me at a great disadvantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment